Photo by Bo Insogna.
- This week, at Nothing in Biology Makes Sense! Chipmunks have no respect for species boundaries.
- And, at The Molecular Ecologist: Pleiotropic genes experience stronger selection.
- AM radio, not the wifi/cell phone frequencies. Man-made electromagnetic waves screw up birds’ internal compasses.
- Mind that cologne. The scent of male researchers screws up mice’s stress responses.
- Joshua trees miss giant ground sloths. Across the Americas, trees are growing fruit for seed dispersers that went extinct millennia ago.
- Alarming! Here is a bird that fakes other species’ alarm calls to steal food.
- To the extent that single cells do that. How a paramecium poops.
- Meta-debunking. It turns out we don’t know how many people are killed by falling coconuts.
- To grow (ugh) Arabidopsis. NASA wants to send a greenhouse to Mars.