Barnacles. Photo by jby.
- This week, at Nothing in Biology Makes Sense! Tracing the origins of the fungus among us.
- Yay! Charges against DIY chemist Kiera Wilmot have been dropped, and she’s going to space camp.
- Wow: “75 percent of all tornadoes on Earth occur in North America.” For the devastating tornadoes that hit Oklahoma this week, some meteorlogical context.
- Yum! Acacias ensure that no one steals the food rewards provided for mutualistic ants by making poisonous food rewards.
- Good enough is good enough. The magic of evolution revealed in the inefficiency of an adaptation to poisonous environments.
- It would make sense. Could immune response influence human reproductive function?
- Whoops. Sweetened poisons have selected for cockroaches that can’t stand glucose.