Cocoa pods on a tree in Uganda. Photo by sarahemcc.
- Meet Homo rudolfensis. New fossil finds establish a previously undiscovered species of early human. See also the report in Nature.
- Ironically, it didn’t involve any dramatic transformations. How insects evolved the developmental process of complete metamorphosis.
- Okay, NOW global warming is an emergency. Half of cocoa-producing countries in Africa may be too hot to grow chocolate by 2060.
- Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean your coffee won’t turn green. Ten ways to spot a modern-day poisoner.
- As simple as 2x + 2 = 6. The last word(s) on the importance of algebra.
- Funniest deadly disease ever? A previously undescribed class of virus is responsible for making snakes tie themselves in knots.
- Not coming to the Discovery Channel any time soon. It’s Cow Week!
- Replication for 10% of first-attempt cost? A new startup will take contracts to try to reproduce scientific results.
- i.e., opiate addiction not cured. Cool science, poorly represented by a press release.
- Certainly not me, anyway. Why we really shouldn’t leave it to individual scientists to do their own archiving.
- Well, that’s something. Increasing use of natural gas has apparently led to a siginficant drop in U.S. carbon dioxide emissions.