Young chimpanzees at play. Photo by Tambako the Jaguar.
- The correlations are suggestive, except when they’re not. Thoughts on a study that connects “maternal” feelings to hormone levels and “feminine” facial features, by Kate Clancy and Scicrious.
- Shiny! Paleontologists reconstruct the colors of a fossilized moth.
- You have to admit, it’d be pretty cool. Other paleontologists basically invent a giant superintelligent prehistoric squid out of thin air.
- Raising the wrong kind of awareness. Seeing chimpanzees in entertainment programming may be setting back efforts to save wild chimps.
- Welcome to the future, if your insurance covers it. Genetically-engineered adult stem cells cure a genetic liver disease.
- Not so much a needle as the whole haystack. Sequencing the genome of the bacterium responsible for bubonic plague suggests that there isn’t just a single gene that made it so deadly.