In the first full day of talk sessions at Evolution 2008, I’ve learned:
- Getting up early for a run pays off.
- Different species of toads might have different kinds of sex determination systems.
- Mimulus is a very popular genus for studying speciation – whether via ecological divergence, pollen incompatibility, or allopolyploidy.
- Some legumes might be able to force their nitrogen-fixing bacterial symbiotes to play nice.
- Coevolution is important and ubiquitous.
- Coevolution is really, really hard to test for.
- Name tags are better worn around the neck than on the belt.
- The Minneapolis skyline looks awesome at sunset (see photo).
- I need a bigger notebook.
My presentation is first thing tomorrow – gotta try and rehearse!